The Truth and Reconciliation Commission shall investigate violations and abuse that Tornedalians, Kvens and Lantalaiset were subjected to as a result of the assimilation policies of the 19th and 20th centuries. Among other things the commission shall
- map and examine the assimilation policies and the consequences for the minority, groups within the minority and to individuals,
- disseminate information in order to increase the knowledge about the minority and its historical experiences, and
- submit proposals on continued efforts contributing to reparations and the promotion
The purpose of the commission’s work is to
- contribute to the collective reparation for the minority,
- promote reconciliation, and
- prevent similar acts in the future.
The assignment of the commission is not to consider issues of responsibility in individual cases or to provide compensation for individuals that have been affected.
The assignment is to be presented on 16th May 2022, at the latest.